20 May 2012

New beginnings, new projects..


Last Thursday (17th May 2012) I carried out the 1a Oficina de Introdução Ao Inglês (first introduction to Learning English workshop) in Saracuruna, Duque de Caxias. The workshop was really a taster class as way of finding out the level of interest and main age groups of interested students ahead of a new project I will be implementing in August this year.
Saracuruna, in a typically Brazilian un-politically correct fashion, is classed as a “bairro pobre” (a poor neighbourhood), which, although not affected by the same negative stereotypes or dominated by drug trafficking, suffers similar social and financial problems as the arguably more famous favelas. I will be working in partnership with ONG Espaço Cidadania & Cultura which provides free of charge school support (Maths and Portuguese) for children and sewing and arts and crafts classes for women. The NGO was opened five years ago by a local resident as a way of providing women- many of whom have incomplete education and are financially dependent on their husbands- with the tools to make a small income.
I am currently developing a project for children which promotes citizenship through learning English as a foreign language, as well as a Basic English course for adults with the objective of increasing their self-esteem and employability.
Despite little advertising Thursday’s session attracted around 10 adults and 20 children. In the children’s session I taught the numbers 1 to 10 and a few free time activities with I like and I don’t like. I had been expecting children aged from seven to fifteen years (quite a wide and complicated age range) but in the end the majority were aged between seven and ten. This is a much easier range and meant I could play a few childhood games, such as duck, duck, goose (though in this case “apple, apple, chocolate” to fit with the vocabulary I had taught them!).
With the adults I did a very simple explanation of basic greetings and introductions. The majority had only completed “ensino fundamental” (up to around 13 years old) so I tried to make it as communicative as possible, with lots of practice in pairs and repetition so as not to overwhelm them with worksheets.
All in all I really enjoyed the session and am looking forward to the next one in June which I hope will have even more keen participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment